Martin, Henri

Back to Artists

La Porte D’ Entrée d’une Maison dans Labastide du Vert
Oil on canvas, 21 x 37 inches (53 x 94 cm)
Signed lower right: Henri Martin 
Price upon request
La Porte D’ Entrée d’une Maison dans Labastide du Vert
Oil on canvas, 21 x 37 inches (53 x 94 cm)
Signed lower right: Henri Martin
Price upon request

Martin, Henri



Henri Martin (French 1860-1943) Henri Martin was known for painting landscapes of places that were of significance to him. La Porte D’ Entrée depicts the entry way to his studio and home located high on a hill in the town of Labastide du Vert near Toulouse.. Being surrounded by the aesthetics of luscious gardens as he entered his studio was very important to the inspiration behind Martin’s numerous depictions of gardens and landscapes. He admired the simplicity as well as the power of a garden to affect one’s mood. The idea that the presence of gardens could alter the emotions for the better was something Martin believed in and executed in his paintings. La Porte D’ Entrée is significant to Martin’s catalog of work because of its representation of the source of his motivation, inspiration, and genius.

Henri Martin was born August 5, 1860 in Toulouse. His early works were devoted to poetic and allegorical themes reflecting his training at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Toulouse. After winning the Grand Prix he moved to Paris in 1879 to study at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts under Jean-Paul Laurens. Martin exhibited at the Salon des Artistes Francais in Paris from 1880, winning a medal at the 1883 Salon. A visit to Italy in 1885 brought a new lyrical freedom to his work. Upon Martin’s return to Paris in 1889, he began experimenting with pointillism and turned almost exclusively to landscape painting.

In 1889 Henri Martin exhibited at La Fete de la Federation where he was presented with a gold medal. He was named Chevalier of the Legion of Honour in 1896, and in 1900 won the grand prize at the Exposition Universelle. Martin was named Commander of the Legion of Honour in 1914, and became a member of the Institute in 1918.